Tips for Growing a Prosperous New Mexico Garden
Gardening in New Mexico is not an easy feat. The dry climate, different soil type, and strong winds makes it more challenging to garden in your new homes in Las Cruces NM community than other areas in the country. But there are ways to grow a prosperous garden at your home.
- What to plant? – New Mexico boasts a longer crop season. However, because of the low moisture, there are certain crops that fare better than others in this climate. Herbs such as basil, cilantro, mint, and oregano are great to plant. Vegetables like beets, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, garlic, potatoes, pumpkin, radishes, tomatoes, sweet corn, and sweet peppers also thrive in the New Mexico climates. Chrysanthemum’s, garbanzo beans, okra, pistachio’s, roses, sunflowers, and watermelon are also good to plant in New Mexico.
- Create a plan – You should not go all willy-nilly when it comes to planting your garden. A successful garden is one that is planned out well. Figure out where everything should go. For example, more sunlight is needed for growing veggies. On the other hand, nothing you plant should be close to tree roots. There should also be enough space for everything to grow and spread out or up.
- Get the soil ready – The better the soil the better the bloom. Soil in New Mexico has a lot of calcium. In fact, it may need more sulfur so doing a soil test is helpful. You most likely will discover it needs more organic matter to help your garden bloom.
- Start planting – Begin planting seeds or transplanting according to the plan you created. Plant according to when everything should be planted – i.e. spring, summer, fall, or winter.
- Water, water, and water some more – It is a good idea to water before you plant your seeds or transplant. Make sure you are properly watering your garden to make up for the dry climate in New Mexico. Just make sure you are not overwatering your garden because that can wreak havoc on the roots.
The tips above should help you have a prosperous garden. We are pleased to announce our latest new homes in Las Cruces NM communities of Diamond Springs and Liberty Crossing. Liberty Crossing is coming soon so sign up to stay up to date on what is taking place here: https://www.frenchbrothers.com/new-home-communities/liberty-crossing/.Tags: home bulder las cruces nm, homes for sale las cruces nm, new homes las cruces nm